Sunday, April 01, 2007

BYU Reunion

I have to backtrack a week or two here. I've been a bit lazy about posting lately...

We were so excited to have our old friends and exroommates from BYU come stay and visit us with their little ones. I was a bit worried that it would get a bit crowded in our house with 8 adults and 4 little ones, three of which are under 1 yr old. But it was for only 2 nights that everyone would be here, so I figured it would be fun for a few days. And it was!

I feel so bad that I didn't take more pictures. I think I was too busy thinking about being a good host that I didn't think of grabbing the camera. oh well, I'm glad everyone else had their cameras. I've posted below the few good pics that I was able to capture.

The weekend before, Mark drove up to NY with Jerin and Wami and Taisei. Sounds like they had a good time besides the snow and cold. They stayed at a really nice modern hotel close to Central Park. Jerin has more to say about that trip on his blog. Plus, they actually took pictures of their trip, unlike me.

Jerin's work paid for their hotel stay for the time Jerin was at meetings. And that means access to a pool! So, we took one evening to meet them at their hotel to go swimming with the kids. I can't believe how much fun Evan had. I think he didn't like the pools we took him to in the past because it wasn't warm enough. Evan was having so much fun he was all smiles and kicking and splashing his heart out. I got him to learn how to blow bubbles in the water and hold his breath for a second. We're on our way to teaching him how to swim!

When the Kaneyukis and Tangs joined us, I took them all to get Vietnamese sandwiches for a picnic lunch on Capital Hill, to visit the Library of Congress, Botanical Gardens, the Air and Space Museum, and White House. Mark went into work that morning, so I had to lead our convoy of cars myself in and out of DC and find parking for everyone. It turned out ok in the end. I thought for sure we'd all have to park all over town or someone would get lost or I would get us all lost, but it worked out fine the whole day! Way to go me! I love our new GPS, too!

It was so great to see everyone at one time, with the kiddies too! Who would have thought back when we were roommates/friends at BYU that we'd all be married and each have a little boy. Must have been something in the water at Kensington. We threw a BBQ Sat night and invited a few more BYU alums in the area. That was so great to see! There was Josephine & Ben, Abby & Da & boys we knew from BYU Asian 3rd Ward, and Matt (& his poor wife Jannean (sp?) sick at home) I just met this past week through Jerin. So, that brings our total to 13 adults and 6 kids at our house! That's the most I think we've ever had over. Everything worked out great I think, and the little 1 yr old birthday party for Taisei, Jerin and Wami's son, went well too!

One lesson I learned though, Buy disposable dinnerware and flatware! Luckily, I had enough plates and flatware to go around for dinner and dessert. Whew! And beause there were SO many people there, dinner and dishes was cleaned up or in the dishwasher before I knew it! Thanks guys! I think I enjoyed having everyone over because I hardly did the dishes the entire weekend! Whoo hoo!

It was sad to see everyone leave. It was much too short of a weekend. I had a feeling that once everyone was gone, that I'd feel like house was too quiet and empty. I was right. When it was just Evan and me at home again, I felt like I needed to call people up just to talk to someone! I know some stay-at-home moms really feel that they need some adult conversation, but I never experienced it till then. Maybe it was the convenience of just turning to an old friend, already in my home, to talk about something, that was what I missed. I do see other moms during the week, but it feels like more of an effort and we don't have that same history.

Anyway, I think Evan even missed having so many people and kids around. I think he even missed having Taisei to push around, too. ;) Actually, Evan was getting better about being nice by the time Taisei left. Evan was giving away his favorite wooden puzzle pieces to little Andersen, as the the Tangs were leaving! That was so cute! Wish I got a picture of that. I think he must have learned that from seeing me give Taisei some of Evan's old favorite toys to play with during their 4 hour drive to NY. Way to go, Evan!

Here's a link to some of the picturs I did take while everyone was here!

byu reunion

3 comments:

andrew said...

Woo hoo! First comment! Bev, we had a great time! Thanks so much to you, Mark, and Evan for opening up your home to all of us, cooking us yummy breakfast each morning, playing tour guide, and more! We're looking forward to the next one! ;)

Its funny, we looked at all our pics of the trip too, and we were sadly quite deficient on the number of pics we took as well.

Jerin said...

Hey Bev, you can call us to talk any time you want, ok? ;) We really did enjoy staying up and chatting all night long (while Mark was totally wiped out from all the driving and working he had to do). It was a really good bonding time, don't you think?

And you were an amazing hostess. You really didn't have to be. In fact, if you keep doing that, we're going to threaten not to come any more b/c otherwise we'll have to do that when you come too. ;)

I'm glad someone else posted besides us. I was afraid that we were the only ones who had so much fun. :)

Wami said...

It was so much fun to spend time with you guys! I also enjoyed chatting at nights - it'd been a while,you know. I've missed the trip!