Monday, November 06, 2006

Day #3

Leroy: Yellow watermellon has a more mellow melon flavor and mostly same sweetness. I think I like red better, though. Yes, its not only hot here, it's SO humid! It drives me crazy that things don't get dry and when you get in bed the sheets feel like Evan's been drooling all over it.
 
I forgot to mention yesterday that we went to a government protest outside the train station. I forgot to take pictures. But its a bunch of people protesting the current president wanting him to resign because of allegations that he's been embezzling money from the government. Well, we were there for the t-shirts. hehehe. They were selling some creative shirts and Mark and Brian wanted to get a few as souvenirs. As we were walking around, a guy walked up to Evan and handed him a glow stick. I thought he was trying to push his wares on Evan for me to buy but he handed it to him and walked away. It's funny how even at a protest, everyone's there trying to make a buck selling anything from shirts to light up thumbs down necklaces. While Mark and Brian were looking at shirts, I saw people scattering in the distance. I saw that it was the Taiwan police and told Mark and Brian to wait on the shrits. The venders quickly cleared out of the area. So funny to see that even though the cops were right there, people were still coming up to us trying to sell us stuff without the cops seeing them. Its like Mark says, Taiwan is like a adhoc country, its like anything goes. Nothing goes to waste, and people will do anything to make money.
 
Today, we went to Taipei 101. One of the tallest building in the world and has the worlds fastest elevators. It's supposed to have pressurized elevators to minimize change in air pressure as you ride up, but my ears still popped. Perhaps not as bad as it could have been. There's a screen in the elevator that tells you stats of your trip up to the top. And it lookes like we maxed out at 700 meters per min. Not it's fastest as Brian tells me. We were ripped off! I want my money back. It's quite the view at the top. Oh, and not only do you have to pay to go to the top, you have to pay again to walk up the stairs to the open air deck! Oh well, it was good for the price.
 
We went to Danshui too. There's a carnival boardwalk where you play games for prizes and they sell ice cream cones almost 2 feet tall. I thought Mark was exaggerating before, but I found out that it's true. We walked around and watched the sunset. And we had sweet tofu with red beans from the same restaurant we went to last to last time.
 
more to come...

6 comments:

Nate and Mags said...

I totally remember being there and doing those things, except we were there when it was cold instead of humid during Chinese new year's. Danshui streetfood is pretty good, I think I got sweet popcorn near the bastion too, and squid on sticks. Anyway, a Bian is in pretty deep, haven't followed it much now but we were there when he won the presidential seat and when he got shot in the stomach. It was crazy political then too. Curious - has 101 filled up with stores yet? When we were there, they only had a couple of floors filled up and the rest of the tower was still empty. How fun! I envy you guys - in a good way.

TC said...

You lucky lucky lucky...can I say it more? Bring some good food back and stop by Utah your way home...hehehe!!!! I'm preparing the guest room for the yummy food:) hahaha...jk!

NightPrancer said...

Ok. so this comment along with many others are way overdue. But I know you still love me ;) and you know I haven't forgotten you ^^ hahaha...

First off, I love ur layout.
Second, its flammin awesome that u guys got to attend the protest!! hahaha... I'd love to experience once just for the heck of it one day... a peaceful one though... dun wanna get hurt... hahaha ^^

Food... eat my share too kk ^^ AND TAKE PICS... if I can't taste it I can at least drool over it ;)

Haha... take care sweethearts!!!

Jerin said...

Whaaaa!??! Now you're in Taiwan? What the heck is going on? Last time I checked you were trying to teaching people to etch glass and speak French in Quebec. Man, keeping up with the Changs... a full time job. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, cool! You flew to Nagoya. That's my airport :) You were near me for a bit. Don't you love Japanese service? It's the life. I go back to America and I'm like, dude everyone has such a bad attitude and doesn't help me out! It's a little too much sometimes here though, like you feel TOO helped. If that's possible.

Jerin said...

Oh yeah. I went back and looked at the posts. I remember now. heheh. My brain can't keep up. That's all.