Monday, March 20, 2006

Love the first day of spring!

A glance out to our deck brought a smile to my face. I have 2 planters that I try to plant things in that the squrrials won't get to. But those squrrials will eat anything! So imagine my delight to see little pansies that growing there. I've never planted them there. Do pansies spread their seeds by air? I never would have thought about planting pansies, just because their name seems to sound just that, whimpy. But they have proved me wrong. After many nights of freezing soil and rainless days, these little purple faces smiled back at me saying, "ain't nobody gonna hold me down, oh no, I gotta keep on growin..."
Our white cherry blossom tree out front is in full bloom too. What a sight for the eyes, what an irritant for Mark's nose.
There's two things I'm looking forward to now. The National Cherry Blossom Festival, March 25th - April 9. I'm especially looking forward to the kite festival, kimono exhibits, and Japanese art all over the smithsonian museums. I'm so spoiled with free museums here. When we made it to NY a couple years ago, we were standing in the world famous Guggenheim but I couldn't bring myself to pay to go in! yeah, it's that bad.

My friend Julie and I went to a diaperfree baby support group today. I like to see what I can find just linking off other people's sites, cause you never know what you'll find. I found this www.diaperfreebaby.org I would have never thought there's people out there that would 'potty train' from birth. So I wanted to see it for myself. There's a lady there that had started training her son since birth. I didn't see what his cue was, but she knew that he needed to go. So she pulled out a portable potty, pulled his pants off, sat him on it, and he went! I think he was a few months older than Evan. I think it was amazing, but I don't think I have it in me to put a newborn on the potty every 15 mins. It's enough to breastfeed every hour or so. I was most taken back to see how it didn't bother her to do all that in a public library!
Julie and I agreed its a good thing to start early to build communication with our little son's and their elimination needs. But we wouldn't take it that far.
Oh well, it was educational and it satisfied my curiosity!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Potty training here in China is really interesting. As far as I can tell, children have no diapers at all!

Just buttcracks. Seriously. All the pants for children have a slit down the back and a hole in the front.

In the winter, you'll see these bundles of material wrapped around the little Emperor/Empress to keep them warm - but then get flashed with some smooth baby bottom. Children here freeze their butts off. Literally.

A mother holding her child over a trashcan is a very common sight.

Of course, look what happens when they grow up - stopping to take a whiz by a wall just when you have to go is completely accpetable for the men here.

Beverly said...

that explains the whole urinating in the elevator thing.

yeah I'm always curious as to how mothers around the world raise their kids compared to the US. disposable diapers are really a western thing cause we don't want to get our carpets dirty.

also, they say that seafood is no good for kids under 2 years, but I'm sure fish is fed to children in Asia.
if you make any other observations, please let me know!

btw, faye, your mom and family are in our prayers.

Beverly said...

oh yeah, faye, thanks to your blog I found that site and support group for diaperfreebaby.org. tho I can't remember how far down I had to click to run into that. hehehe

Anonymous said...

Hey Bev-Mark-Evan-Lucy, Inc., may please I come visit you during this so called cherry blossom festival? I really like them. I will bring a dust mask for Mark to wear?

Jerin said...

What's up!? Having fun in Dallas?

Hey - it's not really potty training. I looked into it previously. It's really "parent training." Teaching parents to see the cues of when the baby needs to go. Kind of like sleep training. How can a baby know when to go when it can't even control it's bowels yet. Yeah, you might save some money on diapers. But you'll spend your whole life (well, maybe 2+ years) hovering around the nearest toilet! haha